Wednesday, February 18, 2015

X'd

Here are a bunch of ramblings about my XBox One I got for Christmas.  It's a lot of words and I didn't proof read it, so prepare for many spelling, grammatical errors and nonsense in general.

My console was the Sunset Overdrive bundle and I've hardly even played the game.  I like the idea, the graphics, the "flava" of the game, I just don't like the gameplay.   You need to run around and fight baddies while grinding, sliding, jumping, etc stringing together combos and stuff and I just can't do it.  I suck at video games, but style is guns blazing and button mashing which brings me to my other game I got Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor which has combat sort of like the Batman games.  Lots of timing your attacks and countering incoming attacks all of which I suck at.  I was dying a lot a first, but I'm getting slightly better because when I get in a situation I can't handle I run like hell.

Today at work I used my employee discount and some superbucks that might have been expired to buy a 12 months of XBox Live Gold card.  When I got my XBox One I wasn't even sure if I was going to get live because I'm a loser with no friends, so I have no one to play online with.  Cody has a PS4 and Logan got a PS4 for Christmas, but that doesn't help me any.  I ended up getting a digital copy Battefield 4 when it was on sale and used my 14 days of Gold that came with my console.  I went online to see what the big deal about 64 player conquest matches was and I can tell you it's just more guys to kill you.  Overall, it's still fun even though I'm pretty terrible and still die a lot, so I decided to get the whole year.  Getting Gold also allows you two free games a month if you want them.  I'm going to pass on this month's games.

The XBone has apps for it, but none of them I actually use much or at all.  It has a built in DVR, so you can record up to 30 minutes of game play, but the video quality is very lacking.  They just updated the app, so editing is easier and you can add text, transitions and even use green screen if you have a Kinect.  I could make a compilation of my rad kills, I mean deaths, in BF4, but I can't figure out to export clips outside of the app.  You can share it on the app or to someone else who has a Xbox, but that's it.  It would nice if you could share to YouTube.

My console was the Sunset Overdrive bundle and I've hardly even played the game.  I like the idea, the graphics, the "flava" of the game,  but I just don't like the game play.   You need to run around and fight baddies while grinding, sliding, jumping, etc stringing together combos and stuff and I just can't do it.  I suck at video games, my play style is guns blazing and button mashing which brings me to my other game I got Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor which has combat sort of like the Batman games.  Lots of timing your attacks and countering incoming attacks all of which I suck at.  I was dying a lot a first, but I'm getting slightly better because when I get in a situation I can't handle I run like hell.

I'm also using my XBox One as my primary Blu-ray/DVD player and honestly, it kind of sucks.  I've watched a few discs on it now that freeze and heavily artifact.   I hooked my old Sony player back up to just to check one of the discs that was freezing in the XBox and it played fine in the Sony.   So it's the not the discs, it's the XBox.  I also got a media remote so it's easier to navigate disc menus than having to use the controller.  The remote is real small and lights up nicely, but it's short on buttons.  I wish it had specific buttons for audio and subtitles on it.

The user interface and layout of the main menus is pretty lacking, but my biggest complaint is the hard drive.  They advertise it as a 500 GB unit, but technically as soon as I turned it on I only had 380 GB  or something like that because 120 GB for the software and stuff.  If it says 500 GB, then I want 500 GB of free space for games.   Also, the console comes with just a regular controller that need batteries.  If you are paying over $400 for the unit why can't they put a rechargeable controller in there?  I went and a bought a rechargeable one for $70, so at least if I ever make a friend to can play some split screen.  I'll just need to make sure that friend has Halo.

Also this:



THE DISC NOW SITS ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE CASE!  THIS IS NEXT GEN!!!!!

No comments: