Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Mo' Movies

I haven't been into Phoenix Comics for a while because I've just been busy or away on vacation or just avoiding them to save money.  I finally stopped in this week and picked up some goodies in form of music and movies.


I got some new music and yes they are mostly new.  The Aggrolites is used, they are ska, but not like horns ska, more like reggae ska.  The Mezingers is actually still sealed and even from 2017!  The Fashionism is the obligoratory Canadian content and is their latest 7" single.  I had looked into buying this record online, but it wasn't worth when the shipping is twice the price of the record.  Luckily, Melodyia had it for like $5.25, so it was a deal.


I also got these old school anime DVDs for only $1.00 each.  Even though Crying Freeman has a price tag of 29.95, he only charged me $1.00, so I'm not going to argue with them.  I got Crying Freeman which was six OVAs and is collected on two discs.  Wicked City and Revolutionary Girl Utena are both movies.   These are added to my "To Watch" pile which only seems to get bigger no matter how many movies I watch.

I just watched another older anime blu-ray from the Dragon Ball Z series, The History of Trunks.  I picked up the blu-ray used because it actually had to DBZ specials on it.  I figured I'd get it because I've never seen the one special and I could dump the DVD for the special I did own.  I watched the blu-ray and I gotta say it is just terrible.

When this originally released it was older before widescreen was the norm, so it was full screen.  When they did they the blu-ray when forced the full screen to widescreen, so just watching it you tell parts of the picture have been cut off.  Just the framing of the shots gives it away.  That wouldn't be so bad, but the picture quality is awful.  Its so bad, it's hard to watch.  I popped in my old DVD which is the original full screen and the picture is so much clearer.  I guess blu-ray HD isn't always better.  So much for dumping my old DVD copy.

No comments: