Thursday, May 18, 2017

DVD of the Day

I'm surprised it took me this long to come up with the "DVD of the Day" concept as I could literally have enough content for the next five years.  I picked up today's DVD at the thrift store and while it is of a movie I already own on DVD, this is one is an upgrade.


This is the 3 disc set for the French movie "Brotherhood of the Wolf".  It's an period "action/horror" that was released in 2001.  The movie is loosely based on a real life legend of "The Beast of Gevaudan".  This version was released a single disc and as a three disc set in Canada, I'm not 100% sure the 3 disc was available in the States.  This version is also the 152 minute version, while the theatrical version ran 143 minutes.  Either way it's super long!


Disc one holds the movie with English/French Dolby 5.1, French DTS and commentaries with the director and cast.  Of course English subtitles are optional.

Disc two has a Making Of, deleted scenes, "The Legend", filmographies and bonus ROM.

Disc three has a documentary, storyboards, an album and bonus ROM.

Since it is a French movie all the special features with any kind of dialogue are in French, but everything is subtitled.  It's nice they included all that stuff, but where is a trailer?  I love trailers.

Also is a booklet that has notes on pre-production, filming, post-production and historical references about the Beast of Gevaudan legend.  Cast and crew listings are also included.


This three disc set was released back before technology advanced enough to fit three discs in a regular sized case.  Nowadays you could fit twenty discs in a case that size.  How far we've come.

I haven't watched it yet, but I will soon.  I haven't seen it for quite a while, so hopefully it still holds up well.  I can also rid myself of the single disc version, so it is up for grabs if anyone wants it.  I remember when this was first released on DVD in Canada, the three disc version was very hard to find and was selling online for up to $100.  Luckily I found my copy for only $3.00, it took 16 years, but I did it.  Patience pays off!

If you are looking to know more there is Wikipedia, Internet Movie Database and the official website.  The official website still works and it's a real trip down memory lane mostly for the design and layout of the flash website.

No comments: