Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Import business

Back in February I ordered a blu-ray from Hong Kong and it took three freaking months to be delivered.  The longest I've ever had to wait for a package from HK was a month, so three months is brutal.  I saw a story on the news that in Vancouver there was a huge backlog of shipping containers of mail just sitting in the port waiting to be released by Canada Customs.  Some containers sat there for two months before getting cleared to Canada Post for delivery.

I went and did another order of legit movies from Hong Kong and crossed my fingers they wouldn't take three months to be delivered.  Luckily, they only took a week to get here!  Pretty crazy how mail delivery can vary from one week to three months.  I'm just glad I didn't have wait another three months.

And now here is what I got!


The Super Inframan, 1975, was Hong Kong's answer to Japanese super hero shows like Kamen Rider and Ultraman.  The filmmakers even enlisted the the help of Japanese studios while making the movie.  The movie is pretty crazy and totally awesome.  It had lots of monster dudes in rubber suits and insane fights.  Like Kamen Rider, Inframan is human sized and fights human sized monsters, but one scene has him grow giant size (like Ultraman) and then squash a enemy monster like a bug, literally!  The Super Inframan is also the first super hero movie out of Hong Kong


Then back to original Japanese superhero stuff with Ultraman X: The Movie!


More Ultraman with Ultraman Ginga S, the complete series.  I have had my eye on these discs, but always thought they were too expensive.  They have been available for a little while and now the price has dropped to half what it used it be.  My waiting actually paid off, but not really cuz I still spent money.


And another Japanese movie, Sadako  Vs Kayoko, the Japanese version of Freddy Vs Jason!  I mentioned I bought this on bootleg DVD in Chinatown, but it didn't have subtitles.  The legit Hong Kong blu-ray does, so it's all good.  I guess I should be buying legit discs to avoid that problem right?


The last one is a HK movie called Screwball '94.  I don't know much about it other than that it's like the HK version of teen sex comedy.  As you can see by the logos, it is a Category III movie which is the same as being rated R over here.  I guess that means there will be boobs in it.  The cover also hints at this.

I should be good for a while on ordering movies from Hong Kong.  There are a few movies I'm keeping an eye on to see if if they get a release like the new reboot of Cutie Honey and Hurricane Polymar.

No comments: