Thursday, May 19, 2016

Mailday

I received some packages in the mail yesterday of goodies including a big one of some Blu-rays I ordered with my meagre income tax return.


I ordered myself six movies from DDDHouse.com in Hong Kong.  I've ordered from there lots of times before and never had a problem.  It is my go place when ordering Chinese movies, even though their website needs a makeover.


The first movie, a Japanese one, is Library Wars: The Last Mission.  I think I have may have mentioned about watching the first Library Wars on here before.  I didn't even know they made a sequel until the movie showed up on the DDDHouse pre-orders page.  I watched it last night and I liked it, so much so that I'm thinking about looking for the manga at Phoenix.  Like a lot of Japanese franchises now it was a book, an anime, and a live action movie.  I just like the premise of the movie, but still can't get over how with all the gun fire nobody ever gets killed.   Everyone that is shot, usually in the arm or leg, always seems to pull through.


ULTRAMAN!  This is Ultraman Ginga S: The Movie which I also watched last night in a double header with Library Wars.  Ultraman was the first super hero special fx TV show in Japan and has been running in different variations since 1966.  This the movie for the latest incarnation Ginga S.

Rival studio Toei has the Kamen Rider and Super Sentai franchises and while I prefer Kamen Rider I do like the giant monster battles of Ultraman.  Unfortunately, Ultraman lately seems to have inferior budgets and even their actors don't seem as cool or as good looking as Toei actors.  Ultraman Ginga S: The Movie was at least lots of fun with a ton of explosions, a Koichi Sakamoto staple.  


I also got Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: Sword of Destiny.  If you have Netflix then you've probably already watched it on there.  But if it's on Netflix, then why did I order it?  Because this Blu-ray is 3D, that's why.  Sword of Destiny was released in China in 3D and IMAX where as here in North America it was a Netflix exclusive, in crummy 2D.

I was a little disappointed with the Blu-ray specs, there is no English language, but I guess that makes sense since this is a Chinese release.  The movie was actually shot in English, but the Blu-ray only has Cantonese and Mandarin on it with English subtitles.  Oh well, I guess I can watching in Netflix if I want to hear them speaking stuff I understand.


I probably should've consulted Murray on this one, Black & White: The Dawn of Justice, which is a movie from Taiwan.  It's Taiwan's answer to a big budget Hollywood action film, so let's hope its good.  It was released over here in North America not that long ago, but not in 3D.  I bought it because it's supposed to be decent, it's 3D and most importantly it was on sale.


The Monkey King 2 in 3D!  I've read positive things about it and I do have the first Monkey King.  I liked the first movie and the 3D was actually pretty good.  They switched to a different actor than the first one, but with all the monkey make up, it doesn't really matter.  I haven't opened it yet, but I can tell there is a booklet or cards inside the sleeve.


The last movie is another Chinese movie and also in 3D, Chronicles of the Ghostly Tribe.  I'm not too sure about this one, but it has monsters and AK-47s, so it could be okay.  I'll just have to watch it and find out.


Also, my second spoon, or Fork, arrived!

No comments: