Thursday, April 10, 2014

The Wars!

It's been long too long since I did a post about crap I bought, so I'm back with an all Star Wars post.  I went to Phoenix Comics today, I may have mentioned this place before, and found some "treasures".


First up is this Marvel Comics adaptation of Return of the Jedi which I already own in multiple formats.  I have a couple copies of this same book, but for $1 another copy isn't going to hurt.  Marvel also released the ROTJ adaptation in a digest paperback size, a larger size magazine style and of course in a 4 issue series regular comic book format.


A tauntaun, the second coolest mode of transportation in the Star Wars universe after a speeder bike.   The bad news is that he doesn't come with his saddle and he isn't one of the tauntauns that has the open belly feature.  I still love him anyway.


He still has the "hatch" on his back to put characters in.  It's kind of stupid, but kind of nice because it's so simple.  I can pretty much put any character in there that will fit.


Even IG-88!  I was going to put a G.I. Joe figure in there, but I couldn't find my Snow Job.  I will have to keep my eye open for either Frost Bite, a Snow Serpent, Iceberg, an Ice Viper, Blizzard, Windchill, Sub-Zero, Cold Front, Snow Storm, White Out  or Snow Wolf.  I didn't realize there were that many cold weather themed G.I. Joe figures.  How come there is no dude called Avalanche?


I also got a cool giant Yoda.  He might not look too giant in the picture, but he's 6" tall.  Six inches is giant in Yoda terms, wouldn't that make him about one third scale?  Here is a picture of the giant Yoda next to the original 1980 Kenner Yoda which inspired the giant Yoda.


The giant Yoda is actually part of Gentle Giant's line of enlarged figures based on the original vintage Kenner versions.   The other figures run 12" in size except for Yoda and R2-D2 which are smaller to keep the scale the same.  They even come in replica vintage packaging and go for around $80 depending on the character.

Somebody bought my Yoda for $80, opened the packaging, sold it (probably back to) Phoenix and then I bought it $13.50.  Yes!  I would never pay $80 for the brand new Yoda and if I did I would never open it.  But since I bought a used opened version for pretty cheap, I don't have to worry about any of that stuff.  Yoda can party on where ever he wants.

If you look at the last picture you can see my original Yoda is missing his cane.  If you guys ever find one, get it for me.  I've looked on eBay, but they are all reproductions which I don't have a problem with except that the price of the cane with shipping and exchange comes out to more than I paid for actual Yoda figure.  I would pay that if it was original, but forget it if it's just a copy.

May the force be with you!

No comments: