Thursday, March 29, 2012

Book readin'

I read a book the other day, of course it was a comic book.  Not just any comic book, but an indie comic called "Henry & Glenn Forever" in which punk rock heroes Henry Rollins and Glenn Danzig are committed "life partners".  Also, Daryl Hall and John Oates are their satanist neighbours.  When I read about this and saw the cover I was pretty excited to read it because it sounded like it would be hilarious.  I then read some reviews online that said it was really good, so I got even more excited.  Of course I should know better than to get too excited about something.  It's not that it's bad, I did like it, but it just didn't live up to the hype.


The art styles vary greatly as it's done not by an single writer/artist, but by Igloo Tornado an artist collective.  The comic isn't one story or even short stories, just a collection of single panel comics.  Sometimes the jokes are fairly obviously gay jokes and they get lazy and use the "Do these pants make my butt look fat?" joke like three times.  They seem to dig at Glenn Danzig a bit more than Rollins though.  They use the "Do these pants make my butt look fat?"  It's not all bad and are several humorous parts.  Nothing totally hilarious that I LOL'd at, but I cracked a smile more than once.


If you look online you can find an interview by Nardwuar with Rollins about the comic.  He's aware of it, but hasn't read it and doesn't plan on reading it.  He has even signed copies of it.  On the flip side Danzig is less than thrilled about the comic.  I guess he's been doing lots of complaining about it.  In fact Igloo Tornado even did another strip making fun of Danzig for whining about it.


I had some high hopes for this comic book as the set up of Rollins and Danzig in a relationship sounded like comedy gold.  I didn't strike it rich, but I still enjoyed it and am glad I bought it.

No comments: