Thursday, July 20, 2017

Google is watching

If you follow my Instagram account, then you've saw a picture I posted a few a weeks ago when Cam was in Calgary.  I took him to Boardwalk fries and burgers and despite the long ass wait for our food, it wasn't terrible.  The buns were slightly blackened, but still overall the burgers were good.

I ordered some upgraded fries and stupidly thought I would get them with the combo meal I ordered, but no.  I got the combo meal plus an extra order of bacon cheddar ranch fries.  When I saw them on the menu I only saw the words "bacon cheddar" and that sounded pretty good.  It wasn't until I ordered them and said it out loud and then realized the ranch was on there.  Long story short I will never eat them again, and Cam probably won't talk to me again.

I'm sure you are wondering where I'm going with this, but I'll explain.  Whenever I go anyway, to a store or whatever, Google on my phone logs it with GPS and then asks me questions about various locations.  Google maps will ask for pictures, Google will ask for a review and Google Guides will ask specific questions about where ever I went.


This is the original picture I took of the bacon ranch fries after Cam and I had ate some them.  Mostly we had a few fries and picked out all the bacon.  


This is a screenshot of what Google asked me when I opened the picture.  It just wanted to know what the picture was, so if I wanted to upload as location photo it would know.  I just cropped it a bit for my Instagram post.  The caption couldn't be anymore perfect for the picture of those soggy soggy ranch fries.


Then yesterday I get an e-mail from Google Local Guides telling me I can get a special version of Google Maps since I'm a contributor.  The e-mail also included tips on taking pictures of food.  It's like they saw my picture of those fries and thought, I needed help or something.  I thought I captured the "essence" of the fries pretty good.  If you need some tips on taking pictures of your food, here you go.


Now I know what "flay lay" means!  It's not as dirty as I thought.

No comments: