Sunday, October 1, 2017

HK Imports

Last post I mentioned I ordered some movies from Hong Kong and they actually arrived last Tuesday!   It took only six business days to show up which is pretty awesome compared to three months not that long ago.


Starting in the top left corner and going clockwise we have the blu-rays of; Lupid the 3rd, From Beijing With Love, Ghost in the Shell S.A.C Solid State Society 3D and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 3D.  GOTG 2 was why I mainly did an order, I just picked up the other movies because they were cheap and since I was making an order might as well throw in some extras.

Lupid the 3rd is a Japanese movie based on manga which was originally published in 1967.  It was also a bunch of animated TV series, specials and movies.  I've heard of it because it's fairly famous in anime circles, but I've only seen two of the animated movies.  This live action version was kind of "meh", lots of style of substance but all that style was Meisa Kuroki as Fujiko Mine.

Then is From Beijing With Love which is an upgrade from my DVD which was an upgrade of a VHS bootleg I made.  I actually first saw this movie when I rented it from Video Update,  the Video Update that is now Little's Caesar's.  Of course this was forever ago when I was still living in Cranbrook and I couldn't believe they had this for rent.  I rented it and it was funny, so I made a copy of it.  From Beijing With Love if you can't tell by the cover art or title is a 007 spoof and it is funny.  It stars Stephen Chow of Shoalin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle fame, so you know you are in for something just as wacky.

Next is the Ghost in the Shell 3D movie which is based around the TV series.  This movie was originally released in 2006 on TV, but then again in 2011 in theaters after a 3D conversion.  The movie mixed traditional animation with 3D animation and and the 3D effect wasn't too bad.  I wish there had been more action though!

The 3D in GOTG Vol. 2 was way better than GITS though.  GOTG was the reason I ordered from Hong Kong because for whatever stupid reason, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 never received a 3D blu-ray release in North America.  It was released in the UK, Europe and Asia, so importing it was my only option as the HK release was a multi-region disc.  No bootlegs this time!

I should be good for a while or until I have to order the Terminator 2 3D blu-ray from HK since once again North America isn't getting a release.

No comments: