Friday, February 15, 2008

Records I buyed.

The weather has finally warmed up just in time for my day off. I didn't waste a minute of it and spent the afternoon watching DVDs and napping. Hey, it's not like I was going to outside or anything. In the morning I did go buy some groceries, go to the bank and drop off all our recycling. The recycling was kind of cool because the city guy was there emptying the giant bin of milk jugs. He was just finishing when I was there and was right inside the bin with a gigantic hose like vacuuming up all the crushed milk jugs. The hose was so big the suction on large, the suction on it must be killer.

After getting all those errands out of the way I went to Phoenix for my weekly visit. When I pulled in the back there was a City TV SUV parked there. I went into Phoenix and browsed around a bit then went over to the Meloydia side to have look. The guy working at Melodyia was getting interviewed by these indie rock looking girls. You know the ones with dyed hair, the straight cut bangs, skinny jeans, layered shirts and retro glasses. They were standing beside a video camera telling him not to look at the camera, but look at them. He screwed up a few times.

I was looking through some old 45s they had and ended up getting a few of some weird useless records. Here is what I ended up getting.

Neighbours of the World, the official song of the city of Calgary. Yes, you read that right. I didn't know Calgary had an official song. The back of the sleeve has the '88 Olympic logo on it, so I'm guessing this is some kind of tie in for the 88 Olympics. It's pretty stupid, but at only 25 cents I couldn't really pass it up. The record is even on the Columbia label. I wonder how many copies they sold and I wonder how many of those copies wound up in thrift stores?


The Canadian National Anthem! Everybody should own a copy of this and I have different copies. I totally forget about the first copy I have. This version is probably the neatest as the cover opens to a picture of the sunset (or sunrise?) over the water the maple is die cut on the cover. There are more pictures of scenes throughout Canada with the records sitting at the back of the book. The back of the book has the lyrics to the national anthem in both English and French.

Raiders!! I think I already own three copies of this, but again at only 25 cents I'd be pretty dumb not to buy it. The Read-Along Storybook was a staple of the 80's and came with a picture book and record which later on turned in a cassette tape. Some stories were issued in both record and cassette versions. The record versions seem a lot easier to find as the records were stored in the back of the book, but with the cassette tape version there really wasn't anyplace to put the tape and it would end up getting lost. All the record Read-Alongs I have all have their records, but the cassette ones are pretty much all missing the tapes except for a couple.

Take A Break! It's another book and record, but a book of exercises you can do to the music on the record. The book and record are presented by the Government of Canada Fitness and Amateur Sport. I didn't read it much, but it's probably from the early 80's judging from the artwork. I have a feeling nobody used these records.

Last but not least...The Fat Boys! The rapping beat boxing Fat Boys whose claiming to 1980's rap fame came with mostly with covers of Wipeout and The Twist. Wipeout was a cover of the Surfaris and somehow the Fat Boys got the Beach Boys to do the backing vocals. I don't think they had quite the success RUN D.M.C and Aerosmith had. The single I got was The Twist with lead vocals by Chubby Checker. When I took it out of the sleeve the record looked in goo shape, it just had some dust on it. Then I flipped it over...

Oh noooooooooooooo!!!! What the hell?! Side A was like mint condition, but the B side was totally scratched up. What kind of depraved sicko would do that to a Fat Boys record? What did the Fat Boys ever do? The scratches were obviously there on purpose, somebody made them. Crappy thing is that the B side was the Buffapella version of The Twist. Buffy was the human beat box of the group, not the vampire slayer. Now that the beat boxed version was wrecked there was no I wanted this record anymore, so I put where probably most of the Fat Boys other records ended up.

Sorry guys!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Would you be willing to make a MP3 of Calgary's official song? Calgarypedia needs a link. Perhaps a remix contest is in order?

http://www.calgarypedia.com/index.php/Symbols_of_Calgary