Thursday, October 23, 2008

Do you hear that?

That whistling sound? That's the Canadian dollar falling, crashing and burning! I'm not one to follow politics, the financial markets or anything relatively important, but it's hard not to notice the fact our dollar has recently taken a major nose dive. Ever since the US banking situation the global economy has taken a major dip, yeah thanks a lot United States! A few weeks ago the Canadian dollar was at 95 cents to the US dollar and today it's 79 cents. It's a understatement to say "that totally sucks". Who cares if the US economy is in the toilet, shouldn't our dollar get stronger then?

I'm just bummed because buying crap on eBay just got a whole lot more costly. I found this CD I wanted by a Canadian band, but it's not a major label so there is no way HMV would ever stock it. I didn't want to risk not finding here in town because I HAVE TO HAVE IT! I bought it on eBay for $17.99 plus $8 shipping for a total of $25.99. I thought the dollar was at 84 cents, but to my surprise it was actually 79 cents, so my $26 CD turned into a $32 CD! Ouch. I know the CD is gonna kick some ass (hey it was recorded live in Coaldale!) but $32 is pretty expensive. I probably should've waited to see if I could find it in town, but it's a little late now.

That's okay because I just got a major payday! Since we settled on a new contract at work I'll be getting more money and this week they paid out all my backpay which amounted to $2686. So I got my backpay plus my regular earnings, but I'm scared to find out how much the government took. With a bit a extra cash the big decision is what to blow it on! I did buy a $50 Canon scanner today and a new jacket. I've been meaning to buy a new jacket since last winter, so I don't think that counts. How about a new TV? I don't know, maybe a new scanner and $32 CD will be enough...for now.

No comments: