Thursday, October 9, 2008

HELL NO, WE WON'T GO!!

Okay, maybe we will. We were THIS close to going on strike at work. I'm kinda disappointed we didn't because I was looking forward to sleeping in. We've been working without a contract for over two years now and finally they decided to try and get something done about it.

A couple weeks ago the union held a vote on a contract offer put forward by the company as well as a strike vote. The offer was voted down by 95% which sounds like a lot but it's not when only 16% off Calgary employees showed up to vote. I know I didn't vote because I really don't care, but anyone that did show up were union supporters, so of course they want to strike. Last week the union served notice that we would go on strike Oct 7th, but before the weekend the company put a new offer on the table.

The vote for the new contract was Oct 8th and if the offer was rejected then we were on strike. Since only 16% showed up to the previous vote the Superstore actually went out and rented buses to take employees to and from the vote and even paid them to do it. Again, I didn't bother go because I still didn't care. Sad to say, we accepted the new offer and we aren't going on strike. It barely passed with only 58% voting in favor of it. Now the employees have a new contract, but all the supervisors are going to be pissed off because the employees make more than they do. I'm sure we get some other stuff too, but I don't know what.

Anyway, I'm gotta get to bed early because I have to get early to go to work in the morning!

No comments: