Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Le Raton-laveur

Here is the next in my line of thrift store wildlife postcards.


The Raccoon can be found in most areas of Canada. They range in sizes as small as 5 to 8 lbs and as large as 30 lbs. They are easily recognized by the blacking markings on their face and their bushy tail.
If The Great Outdoors starring John Candy and Dan Akroyd taught me anything it's that the Raccoon is Mother Nature's adorable garbage loving prankster. Also, don't even think about trying to eat a 96 oz steak.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I don't think I've ever seen a raccoon in the wild. I guess maybe we must have them around Cranbrook, but I've never seen one. For some reason I think they'd be all over the West Kootenays/Kootenay Lake. I think I'll have to put "See a raccoon in the wild" on my bucket list.

3 comments:

mike said...

they don't like the winter in the kootenays. move more towards the okanagan and they are probably already in your garbage, making weird noises..

plus the skunk gangs own the kootenay turf..

Keef said...

I don't think I've ever seen a skunk either, or a skunk that wasn't road kill.

My parent's dog seems to run in a skunk a couple times a year. My dad even has his very own skunk trap now. He caught a skunk just before my last trip home. The skunk is now spraying stink on Jesus' dog up in heaven. RIP.

mike said...

amen.

I hope there is a marmot in this series of postcards... My office is part of the Ginseng factory, so the parking lot is full of hopped up marmots in the springtime.. last year I had to chase one out of the jetta engine with a broomstick..