Thursday, January 26, 2012

Follow up

Today I had my doctor's appointment with the urologist to find out what type of kidney stone I had.  When you know what type of stone you have it makes it easier to prevent getting them again.  Turns out my kidney stone was a calcium oxalate stone which is the most common one.  These stones are formed by calcium binding to dietary oxalate and then preventing it from being absorbed by the body.

Even though the stone is made from calcium cutting milk and milk products from your diet won't decrease the chance of getting another stone, in fact drinking milk will decrease the risk of future stones.  It's too much oxalate in the diet that is the main cause.  Foods high in oxalate include rhubarb, spinach, beets, chocolate, nuts, vitamin c tablets, sweet potatoes, leeks, parsley, raspberries, strawberries and tea.  I don't eat half those things and I hate beets, so it's good to know that now have a legitimate medical excuse as to why I can't eat them.  It totally sucks about strawberries because I love them and will eat anything with strawberries in it.  All my yogurt is strawberry flavored, I have two jars of strawberry jam in the fridge as well as a carton of fresh strawberries.  Dammit.  I am actually allowed to eat those foods, but in moderation.   I can't do moderation!!

After that I went shopping and bought myself a Korean beef bowl for lunch from Safeway.  Over in the prepared foods area with the sandwiches and salads they have these new Asian bowls.  There are a couple Vietnamese ones, a couple Japanese ones and the Korean one which is my favorite.  I'm not saying it's delicious, but it's the easiest to keep down and only goes in the microwave for four minutes.


I know I said the Korean one was my favorite, but here is a picture of the teriyaki chicken bowl.  It was one of the things I was planning to write about, but never got around to.  Good thing I kept the picture on my memory card, so now Mike knows what to look for.

Then I went to good old Cash Converters because I have to go there every couple weeks.  The location on Macleod Trail has started taking vinyl, so they have some records.  Most of it is overpriced 80's rock, and after the first few bins I lose interest in looking though all of them.  I did see the original Tron soundtrack, but it was $20.  For a few bucks less I did find a House of Pain 12" single for $4.99.


No fancy picture sleeve, but at least it has the Tommy Boy logo all over it.  It's the On Point single and has four remixes as well as Word is Bond on the b-side.  I totally listened it and it was "same as it ever was".  Peace out my brothers.

1 comment:

mike said...

Blogger.com you suck..
I had a super funny comment written about you post but it got deleted..

So you get this one instead;

Did they do a big suspenseful reveal of the stone? With scary music and a cover that was pulled away at the last second??

Thanks for the bowl pick, If I ever find myself in a Safeway I'll know what to buy you.