Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Don't fear the reaper.

On Edmonton Trail and 9th Ave NE in Calgary sits a place called Boogies Burgers. It's a funny name I know and it's been there since 1969 before people even had a sense of humour! I ate there once with Elaine and wasn't impressed. The people that owned were like French or something and charged you for EVERYTHING! You want lettuce on your burger? Extra charge! Pickles? Extra charge! Mayo? Extra charge! The French lady was going on about this special fry spice she had just brought back from France which looked exactly like Lowry's seasoning. We were both disappointed, I mean how could a place called Boogies let us down?

Fast forward to now! New owners have taken it over and turned into a burger lovers paradise. Back when me and Cody were searching for burger places to eat I looked at the Boogies website and after reading the menu decided we had go just because they have a burger called Doug's "Don't Fear the Reaper" Burger. It is four patties, four pieces of bacon, 2 slices of cheese, a fried egg and a 100% beef wiener. WTF?! We recruited Dennis and Will to go with us. Cody brought his camera, but he needed batteries and I told him NOT to use the crappy dollar store batteries, but he didn't listen to me. When we got there he went to take a picture and the camera died. Will used his iPhone to take some pictures, so that's why a lot of them look like crap. Sorry Will.

Okay, I'll admit I didn't actually eat a Don't Fear the Reaper burger, I was too scared. I tried a Pizza burger instead, Will got the June's Jerk Chicken burger and since our burgers didn't weigh in a like 20lbs each we also got spicy fries. I liked my burger and Will said his was good, but I was a little disappointed by the fries. They weren't even spicy.

Cody and Dennis did get the Don't Fear the Reaper burgers and drinks to wash them down with. The burger costs $15 alone, but when you consider the amount of ingredients in it, that's not bad.


Doug's "Don't Fear the Reaper" Burger which looks WAY bigger in real life.


Cody and Dennis get down to business.


You ain't done yet.


Did any of that even make into his mouth?


OMG, they did it!

I'll give Dennis some props for polishing that thing off fairly quickly. As you can see by his plate some of the burger didn't quite make it, so he had to ask for a fork to get the droppings. Dennis even said he could've eaten an order of fries if he had to. Cody wasn't as messy, but took a lot longer to finish his, but Cody has always been a slow eater. While we were waiting for Cody one of the "cooks" came out said "You don't have to finish that." and we were like "Yes, he does!" In the end the burger crown has to go to Cody because Dennis doesn't like eggs, so he didn't get the fried egg where as Cody did. They both said the burger was huge, but not that bad except for the wiener was gross. Cody said he couldn't even taste the egg or bacon.

After witnessing the destruction of the Don't Fear the Reaper Burger first hand I know I could totally do it. Next time I will kick that burger's ass!

3 comments:

mike said...

hmm, no posts since the boogie burger outing, hopefully you guys didn't come down with samonella.. that last pick of Cody his thumb says yeah, but his eyes aren't sure..

Merry Christmas anyways!

Kristian said...

Merry Christmas guys!

Keef said...

Sorry Mike, but nothing of interest has happened to me, so not much to write about.

We actually did that Boogies trip a while ago in mid-November. It took a while to get Will to e-mail Cody the pictures and then a while for Cody to check his e-mail. Then Cody forwarded me the pictures, but screwed up and only sent an empty e-mail. I forgot about it before I told Cody what happened, so he sent them to me again. Then I wrote the blog. Did you get all that?

Merry Christmas/New Year/Happy Holidays Kristian! Say "hi" to Michelle for me.