Thursday, August 15, 2013

The truth is out there

Does anybody out there remember The X-Files?  Well you'd better or else we can no longer be friends.  I watched every episode of the early seasons usually at Cam's house on Friday night.  I'll admit I quit watching after David Duchovny left the show.  I would still watch it once in a while, but there was lots I missed out on.  I did watch the entire Lone Gunmen series, but it only lasted 12 episodes, so I was pretty easy to keep up.  Anyway The X-Files is back!  Not in as a TV show or movie, but as a comic book.


Joss Whedon and Darkhorse Comics brought Buffy back as a comic series with Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 8 which picks up after the TV series left off.  IDW Comics does the same thing with The X-Files calling it "Season 10" and picking up after the TV series finale.

The first issue introduces Mulder, Scully and Skinner, the second issue has The Lone Gunmen (who were killed off in season nine) and the third issue which just came out this week has The Smoking Man aka Cancerman (who was also killed in season nine).  People don't stay dead very long in comic books.

I picked up The X-Files #3 today at Phoenix Comics, but the X-Files goodness doesn't stop there.  I also bought two packages of X-Files Season 3 trading cards.  Unfortunately, I didn't get the complete set, or a 3D hologram or a paranormals finest insert card.


I am reminded of the time when Willie and I split a case of X-Files Season One cards.  Since neither of us could afford to buy a full case ourselves, I think it cost $70, we decided to go in together and get one from Pages.  We took it back to Cam's to split up the box on neutral ground, so as to make sure no one had anything to complain about later on.  I remember getting a couple of the rarer hologram cards, but didn't get a complete set.  Eventually I did manage to get entire set of the main series, but not the subsets of special cards.  The sad part is you can buy the entire main set of season one cards on eBay for $3.24.  I'm going to cry myself to sleep now.  Goodnight.

No comments: