Saturday, February 1, 2014

The Great White North

Saturday was the first day of my three day weekend.  I'm not sure why I got a three day weekend, I didn't ask for, but I'll take it.  Do I have any big plans for time off?  Nope, because that would require forethought and I'm not that ambitious.

That doesn't mean I didn't do anything today.  Last time I was Phoenix Comics I saw a flyer for a collector show at the Sunnyside/Hillhurst Community Centre.  I've been to a couple of these before, that's where I scored my Public Domain DVD.  I saw two separate flyers for the same date, one was for Japanese anime and manga and the other flyer was for comics, collectibles and sports cards.  

Of course I went because it was better than sitting around the house all day.  The main entrance area was where all the manga and anime was and while I looked around a little bit I didn't get anything.  Then I went into the main hall area which I think might be a gym, I've never actually paid that much attention to it.  It was pretty full with lots of comics, toys and even the movie dude from the Sunday flea market was there.

I didn't even bother to look at the comics because I'm too lazy to flip through a bunch of boxes, also it was pretty busy in there, so I couldn't really get a spot if I wanted.  I didn't go home empty handed though.  At one table I bought an old 7-11 Marvel Howard the Duck glass cup from 1977 as well as a couple Star Wars magnets.


The same guy was selling magnets, key chains and light switch covers which you could mix and match for 2 for $5.   You can never have too many magnets right?

After that I bought three prints from local artist Gerald Garcia.  He used to work at Comic-Kazi and was the guy who first signed me up for a file there.  I always thought he owned/ran the store because he was always there when I was there.  Turns out I was wrong...it happens occasionally.  


Vader!!


Take off you zombie hoser!

I couldn't not get this zombie Bob and Doug picture.  You need to turn in you citizenship if you don't find this cool.  I also got a Tony Stark picture, but I won't even bother showing it because the Bob and Doug pic trumps them all, so it would be a waste of time.  

Now I'm going to take off, eh.

No comments: