Saturday, May 3, 2008

Lots o'stuff

First off I'd like to complain that I didn't receive any mail at all this week. Why not?! I didn't even get any bills and I'm expecting my Enmax bill. It's sad when you are looking forward to getting something in the mail even if it's a bill. I guess I'll have to order more crap online, just so I can get something.

Last weekend was the comic show which was good, I look forward to next year. The funny thing is that after the first day I was thinking I had everything I wanted and didn't need to get anything else, but when we back I kept finding all this stuff I liked and at the end of the second day I left with only $1 in my pocket. I wish I had more money for commissions from some of the artists, but that stuff usually runs $80-$100. I was at Cameron Stewart's table and he had a book of original art and inside was this super cool Blue Falcon and Dynomutt drawing which was $100 and beside him was Jim Mahfood's table where he was doing this cool drawing of Peter Parker. I wanted it so much! I didn't even bother going to see any of the "media" guests like George Takei, Michael Rosenbaum, Kevin Sorbo or Tricia Helfer. I did see Kevin Sorbo as I was walking by his area and that's good enough for me. I didn't actually see Tricia Helfer, but I did see her hair and it was pretty. They also had Daniel Logan there who played the annoying young Boba Fett in Attack of the Clones. There were a few people in costume too, but nothing really cool. Lots on anime characters, but I did see as I was leaving on the first day a Spider-Man and Black Cat duo, but it was the "Ultimate" Black Cat. Meh. But for next year I must remember one thing...BRING MORE MONEY.

More comics! Saturday May 3rd is free comic day! I guess I maybe should've posted something about this earlier because it's too late now for anybody to go out and get some. I went down to Another Dimension in Kensington because they have the best free comic book day. I have my comic book file at Comickazi and they only offer one free comic per customer. I only go there once a month now and only because I feel obligated to keep buy some stuff from there. Most of my comics I get from Phoenix now because Comickazi has dropped the ball too many times. Anyway! At Another Dimension you get two free comics and extra comics only cost 25 cents each.


Those are the books I got for free, but I was mad I forgot to get the Bongo Comics issue. Bongo Comics publishes the Simpsons and Futurama comics. I suppose the Iron Man/Hulk/Spider-Man comic is there just to get people interested in the new Iron Man and Hulk movies out this summer. Iron Man is already out and supposed to be really good, I will have to see it...maybe. I picked up that all ages comic Owly just because it looked funny. The art is all cutesy characters and stuff. Characters that cute just scream to made in cute toys and such.

It seems that the past couple years Free Comic Day has always been the day after a big Marvel movie release. This year Iron Man was out and last year it was Spider-Man 3, I wonder what it will be next year? The only Marvel movie in production that I've read out is Wolverine, so I guess that will be it. Look for Wolverine on screens next May!

After getting my free comics I headed to A&B in Sunridge looking for a CD. We watched the 80's teen movie Valley Girl earlier in the week. I was hoping for something a little zanier, but it did have some funny moments. The movie opened with some valley girls in the food court of the mall and they were talking and I was like "What are they saying?" They were using all the 80's slang valley talk, it was hilarious. Also the soundtrack was pretty cool, lots of early 80's new wave stuff. I went to A&B in hopes of finding the soundtrack, but no such luck. I had looked in other stores, but couldn't find it. A&B usually has good selection, but they still didn't have it. In fact, they didn't have much of anything! Everytime I go there they have less and less stock. I mean if this keeps up they will be out of business in no time. Then again I don't think I'll be going back anytime soon just because they pretty much got nothing. The CD and DVD sections keep getting smaller and smaller. I think their "Horror" DVD section only had about 10 titles in it! That is sad.

Okay, I take back that bit about not getting any mail because after I got home from A&B I found a package waiting for me. I didn't even know they delivered mail on Saturday.


First of all anybody who knows me knows that I love beer and that I LOVE Kokanee! Kokanee is currently running the "Live or Die" campaign for the Ranger who protects the glacier fresh Kokanee from that damned meddling Sasquatch. The viewers and beer consuming public get to vote and decide if Kokanee's Ranger will live or die. I liked the Ranger ads and last time I was back in Cranbrook I checked out the website and discovered you can get free stuff! It's not entirely free because you still have to pay $4.99 for shipping. It's not a bad deal because you get a lawn sign, button, sticker, and t-shirt. You get to pick from the "Save the Ranger" or "Kill the Ranger" sets and I of course picked the Save kit. It would just be mean to kill him.

I had been anxiously awaiting my stuff and it finally came and it was huge! You can tell from the picture that the package was pretty big. I opened it right away to see the junk. I was expecting the sign to be paper or at least flimsy plastic. It's not like I was actually going to put it up on my lawn, but I was planning on my sticking it on my fridge or something. The sign looks really good and it made out of thick corrugated plastic. I don't think they make magnet strong enough to hold this thing on my fridge. It does comes with a metal stand for sticking it in your yard. The button was pretty big and shiny. I was a little disappointed by my sticker because it had some weird black smudge on it and it wasn't made from the glossy stuff. I guess they used up more money on the fancy sign and stand.


There is all the free stuff. When you order your kit you can't actually pick the size of your t-shirt which means that it will be XL. And it was! It fits like a (itchy over sized) glove. If you want to check out the site, vote and order your own kit check out RangerLiveOrDie.ca Here is me and my new shirt and new haircut just for Cam.


DRINK KOKANEE! SAVE THE RANGER!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha, thanks for the pic. It doesn't look that short, but hey, you'd know better than me!

The A&B in Kelowna used to be right downtown (and cool) but the neighbourhood got all greazy and cracked-out so they 'downsized' and moved from a giant purple two-story building into a crappy mall (no food court) last year. I read an interview with the manager when they moved, he said customers were concerned for their safety when they walked from their car to the store downtown, sweet.

Their stock sucked after they moved, and I guess other people thought the same because they had a going-out-of-business sale last weekend and closed down. I also blame it on internet piracy, and also on the breakdown of society.

THE END.

Keef said...

When I left the store I felt like asking the cashier if the store was going out of business, but didn't because that didn't seem like a nice thing to do. I'm sure they'll be gone in no time.

It sucks because it's harder to find stuff because Future Shop and Best Buy only carry mainstream stuff. I guess that's what eBay is for. I wanted to order this Japanese band and couldn't find it, so I ordered it off eBay and it was $13 after shipping and exchange. Not a bad deal, but I'll have to wait a couple weeks to get it. You don't even need to leave the house to buy stuff now, you can order everything online! Wow, how convenient.

Anonymous said...

ouch, I didn't know A&B closed in kel. although I hadn't been to the new location, I did notice though that amidst this age of online wonder the absound website blew-chunks..

nice haircut Keef;
your not in the army, you just have short hair.

talorel said...

You are very lucky to have received your package. I ordered mine the second week of April, and when I phoned last week they said they were all gone. Too bad. And they aren't getting any more *sigh*