Saturday, May 8, 2010

The Goonies 'R' Good Enough

Last week my dad was in town for a couple days for some meetings for work, something about running a better shop.  Anyway, he was staying at the Glenmore Inn which is over in the ghetto of Ogden Rd and also right by Bob's Hamburgers.  We didn't go to Bob's.  On Tuesday I got there a few minutes early, so he was still in the meeting.  There is also a Salvation Army right there, so I went in to have a look.  I actually found something cool for a change!


Goonies glasses!  The real deal from 1985 and still in great condition.  I picked them up for 99 cents a glass.  One side has a scene from the movie and the back says the film title, studio names and what scene is being presented.  The glasses I got are Sloth and the Goonies, Sloth Comes to the Rescue, Goonies in the Organ Chamber and Data on the Waterslide.


What the glasses don't say on them is where they are from.  Usually they'd have a Burger King or McDonald's logo on them if they were part of a promotional offer.  Cody was trying to figure out where they came from then I noticed the Data on the Waterslide glass still had part of an original sticker on the bottom of it. Using that and my keen intellect I deduced that these Goonies glasses are from Godfather's Pizza!


Wow, I had completely forgotten about Godfather's Pizza.  I don't think I've even seen a commercial for them since the early 90's or even late 80's.  They do have a Canadian website, but looks like all the franchises are out east in Ontario.  

I'm the last person who needs more glasses, I have too many already.  I'm always buying glasses, cups and mugs with funny or cool stuff on them and they just sit in the cupboard or in a box.  Back in Cranbrook I have two boxes full of nothing but Tiki glasses.  Plus I don't use them because then I'd have to wash them, so I just drink straight out of the juice cartoon or milk jug.  I guess they are collector's items and maybe one day I can sell these 99 cent Goonies glasses for $2 each and finally retire to someplace warm.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Great post--my room mates broke my Goonies cups (I had the organ chamber & super sloth) and I've been in a deep state of sadness ever since. If you ever feel like selling I'd gladly oblige! I NEED GOONIES GLASSES BACK IN MY LIFE.
Here's my info: rebeccaalissacoleman@gmail.com
Cheers!
-Rebecca