Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Fry Guys

Om Monday I went over to Willie's and w headed out for lunch because he owed me since last time I paid at the Redneck Cafe.  I wanted to try the fry truck that I've seen parked on the lawn beside the church near Safeway.



The sign on the truck says "The Chip Truck", not "Fry".  Maybe they're British or just trying to sound cool or something.  We got just just before 1pm still in the peak lunch rush hour which is to say there was nobody there.  They had a menu posted on the outside of the truck, but I didn't pay that close of attention to it because I knew I was getting.  They maybe had hot dogs and other stuff, but I was there for the fries.  Oops, I mean chips.

Willie got a large plain fry chips and then put malt vinegar and salt on it.


I got a medium chip with gravy and a can of Diet Pepsi(not pictured).

The chips were good and made from whole potatoes with the skin left on.  Because that's where all the nutrients are!  They were pretty hot when the backwards cap wearing guy(left hand side of picture at top) gave them to us.  Mine had a nice amount of gravy on it, not too much and not too little.  My fries were a bit soggy from the gravy, so after a bit I didn't need to chew them, just swallow them on down.  I would go eat again as it's better than McDonald's (but as not good as Arby's) and you get your food quickly.

A couple complaints would be that once you get your food there is really no place to sit and eat it.  You could walk over to the bus stop and sit down, but then a bus might come and think you want to get on, plus it seems like only weirdos ride the bus and you might run into one.  Willie and I just walked over and leaned against my car and loitered in the parking lot while we ate.  The other thing is that gravy is so expensive!  I think it was $1.25 or $1.50 just to add gravy to my fries.  WTH?!  Gravy should cost no more than 75 cents and that is it.

If you are in downtown Cranbrook and the two Japanese place are busy, the Redneck Cafe is busy, and the East Indian place Taj Mahal is busy then go to The Chip Truck for some fast chip goodness and be sure to get a large too.

2 comments:

WiLL said...

The "chips" were excellent, now all Cranbrook needs is a GOOD place to get fish n' chips. Why'd Granny Cottle's have to go? Oh, Keith, it's a $1 to add gravy and $1.50 to poutine it up. They also only have fries and pop and water for sale.

Anonymous said...

How many of them were there? And which way did
they go?