Saturday, June 19, 2010

The wonderful smells of the zoo

My parent's just decided to bring Logan and Avery up to Calgary for the weekend and take them to the zoo.  Luckily(?) I had the day off, so I went with them.  Today was the first nice day of weather we've had since last weekend and since it was Saturday everybody was out enjoying the weather.  When I got to the zoo I made a note that I parked parked my car next to a mini van and then noticed the entire parking lot was a sea of mini vans and SUVs unloading strollers and wagons and the such. 

I read an article on Yahoo the other day about the Calgary Zoo and it wasn't a good one.  I was about all these animals that have died or been hurt by human negligence at the zoo, and it was a lot.  It sure helps the case of animal rights groups who are opposed to zoos.  Yeah, wild animals belong in the wild, not in some little pen with screaming kids staring at them all day.   Even though they are trapped in cages they can still kick human ass.

We didn't have time to see the entire zoo, but we saw some and saw the dinosaur part twice.  I only took a few pictures, so here you go.

A monkey!  Okay, he doesn't have a tail, so he's an ape, but whatever.  We didn't go inside the building that had the monkeys in it.

They should have him boxing guys like in the cartoons.  That would be awesome!

It's like "Where's Waldo" but with a lizard.  Find him to win a fabulous prize.

From the Dinosaurs Alive exhibit.  Unless it's a prehistoric Duckosaurus, that duck really breaks the illusion.

If you can't touch or ride the dinosaurs then what the hell is the point?!

After three hours at the zoo we left and this was probably the first time I had been outside in the sunlight since last summer.  My poor beautiful porcelain skin now has some colour to it.  Back to the couch!

3 comments:

mike said...

you went all the way to the zoo and didn't see any monkeys? isn't that what the zoo is for?

ps, I checked the thrift stores in cbk for good t-shirts, the only one I thought you would like said; "It took me 50 years to look this good."

Keef said...

Mike, you need to go back to Cranbrook more because everyone knows you go to Giant Tiger for funny t-shirts. The thrift store just isn't what it used to be.

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a beautiful zoo. You should see the Hsinchu Zoo--pretty shabby even by our very low standards for animal welfare.
Cam