Saturday, September 11, 2010

Scooby-Doo Where Are You?

 I like Scooby-Doo.  I used to watch the original show when I was kid on KXLY out of Spokane.  Back then we only got three channels on our TV, so I didn't have much of a choice.  It didn't matter because Scooby-Doo was awesome.  I like Scooby so much I even saw the live action movies in the theater, yes I both movies.  I have the DVDs.  I even have a Scooby-Doo shower curtain.


I have a couple old Scooby-Doo comics from the 70's and used to collect the newer Scooby series from Archie and then from DC, but I quit getting them years ago.  Just this week DC has relaunched the series under the title Scooby-Doo Where Are You? that has the Scooby gang heading to Canada in a story called The Curse of the Ogopogo.   I figured I had better pick it up and give it another try.


Scooby and the gang are on vacation at their cabin on Lake Okanagan, "one of Canada's pristine natural wonders".  Those are Fred's exact words and I'm not saying Okanagan Lake is ugly or anything, but I think Canada has many more prisitine natural wonders than Okanagan Lake.  Anyway, the gang run into the Ogopogo who is scaring tourists away from the area or as Scooby says the "Rogopogo".  He also says "Reef rerky reeeeelicious."  The whole concept sounded pretty cool to me and it could've been pretty fun, but it wasn't!  The story was only half the comic, so it was crammed into only a few pages.  They didn't look for clues and run into creepy people who were their suspects.  That is the classic Scooby formula, don't mess with it.  I'll ruin the "mystery" for you as the Ogopogo turned out to be some evil loggers trying to scare away the tourists, so they can log the Okanagan Valley.  The comic was a bit of a disappointment, but at least I got to get some more Piranha 3D tattoos.  Never can have enough of those.

2 comments:

mike said...

Darn loggers, lol. They would have gotten away with it too if it hadn't been for those meddling kids, oh and the albertans buying up all the property, oh and the forest fires, and MountainPineBeetle, and the fact that all the okanagan mills shut down in the last 5 years, oh and that no one is harvesting so all the loggers are out of work; they are already in FortMac driving oil trucks.. but it was mostly those kids and that dog..

Keef said...

It's the writer didn't even bother to do some background research for the story. That is just unprofessional, I will not buy anymore of his comics.