Saturday, March 29, 2008

Burger Time!

Anyone reading my blog has been or at least heard of Joey's Hamburgers, a classic burger joint who's time has unfortunately passed. Every neighborhood has some old Mom & Pop greasy hamburger place that nobody knows about except the locals. A few months ago I stumbled across such a place while meeting up with my Mom who was staying at the Glenmore Inn. It had a weird location just off Glenmore Trail in between the industrial area and some dirty houses. Right beside the hotel was an old strip mall which had a Salvation Army, pawn shop, liqour store, a couple restaurants, and BOB'S HAMBURGERS. I knew from the first time I saw it that I would have to eat there one day.


This place is old school! The inside is so dated, but that's fairly obvious by the Pac-Man on the sign. Operated by some Asian's, Bob's has been around for over 40 years and is the first hamburger restaurant I've been to that had a take out/delivery menu. All prices on the menu include GST, so what you see is what you pay, which is cool. The selection of burgers is pretty varied from the usual burgers to bacon burgers, teriyaki burgers, buffalo burgers, chili burgers and the oddly named gram master burger. The buffalo burger isn't actually made from buffalo, it just had some weird sauces on it. The gram master burger is just a regular burger with thousand island dressing on it, yeah I know it doesn't sound good at all. It sounds even funnier as the Double Gram Master Cheese Burger Combo, which can be had for only $5.50 and remember that includes GST. All burger places some heart attack inducing combo (Wendy's triple burger nearly killed me) and Bob's would have to be the Double Mushroom Cheese Bacon Burger Combo at only $6.00. I wouldn't wish that on anyone!

In addition to burger they also do hot dogs, chicken fingers, chicken wings, and spring rolls. Spring rolls? The spring rolls and wings can be had in various amounts with the biggest being the "Big Box" which contains 80 wings or spring rolls! That is a lot of spring rolls.

Anyway, I ordered a double cheeseburger combo which of course comes with fries and a drink. The way they cooked the burgers is awesome...by conveyor belt! It's some machine that has duel conveyor belts which cook the burgers and just like BK they're flame broiled. The burger itself wasn't bad, it did have a bit too much mustard on it though. Fries were good.

Bob's not only sports Pac-Man on their sign, but one of the greatest most ridiciulous slogans ever!


"Swallow out pride" At first I didn't even notice it and after we ordered and were sitting down waiting Cody was making reference to their slogan and I didn't even get it. Afterwards I saw it on the sign and burst out laughing, "If that's all you swallow then you're lucky!"

I guess Bob's is a "cult" place that you go there more for the experience. The take out menu I mentioned looks like it was printed on someone's home printer with spelling mistakes including the restaurant's own phone number, one of the numbers is written over with a pen. Although, I would recommend going there during the day. Still if anyone is in town and wants to go check it out, I'll gladly go.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

so how long before pac-mans people come and shut this one down?

looks awesome, I like that you included the guy standing in front of the door, is that the waiter? no? must be the valet attendant..

Keef said...

That is not a dude!!