Monday, April 5, 2010

One foot in the grave.

Last post was about my recently deceased Bruceploitation website and this post is about my other site which is even more neglected, but surprisingly still around.  I'm talking about Keith's Colouring Book and take note I spelled "colour" with a "u".   Spell checker on Blogger keeps highlighting "colouring" as being spelled incorrect.

Again, I'm not even sure how old the colouring page is, maybe 7 or 8 years old I'm guessing.  It is still around because I didn't put it up Geocities, for some reason I chose Fortune City and the only reason why I can think of is because it was free.  It's free because you have to look at banner ads, pop up ads and well all kinds of ads.  Yeah, it's annoying I know. 

I started the site because back then I wanted to do something a little original and different.  My original idea was to scan pictures from those storybooks that came with records or tapes.  You could see the scanned page from the book and then listen to the audio if you wanted to.  The whole thing was too complicated for me to pull off, although I still think it's a cool idea.  When that fell through I came up with the idea of scanning pages from my collection of vintage colouring books.  Another kick ass idea, but the execution wasn't that great.

After looking at the website after all these years, it's not quite as great as I remember.  I thought I had more pictures than I do and better ones too.  The quality of the images is straight up awful!  When I got my scanner I didn't really know how to use it that well, plus my computer wasn't all that hot.  If I tried to scan something with a large file size it would freeze the computer.  I solved this by scanning stuff at some black and white file setting that made the lines appear all blocky.  Eventually I upgraded a decent computer and figured out to use the damn scanner.  Look at the most recent pictures from Ultimate Muscle and compare them to any other pictures and you'll see there is quite a difference.

Despite the reason that I haven't update the site in about five years, it still manages to somehow attract visitors.  In fact, just last week I got an e-mail from some lady asking me if I knew how much a mint Happy Days colouring book would be.   I've also got e-mails asking me for permission to use the pictures for things and I just say I'm pretty sure I'm breaking all kinds of copyright laws just by having those pictures on the site so I'd recommend you use them at your own risk.


Colouring stuff is a young man's game though.  I did the Turtles maze, but screwed up when I accidentally coloured Leonardo as Donatello.  It was an honest mistake.  I started the Transformers picture, but couldn't remember Optimus Prime's exact colour scheme.  I know carrots are orange, so I did that and stopped before I messed up the pictures.  Now that I've stimulated myself mentally and artistically for the day, it's time to blow stuff up and kill dudes.

4 comments:

mike said...

I can't believe you coloUred Leonardo purple... He is the leader after all. I remember you gave cam one of the original ones where they all were red..

oh and OP was red, with blue hands. that should be enough to get you started..

Keef said...

I did what now?

Here is a fun fact you. I picked up a Turtles activity/colouring pad at the thrift store near where we live. It was titled "Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles". At first I thought it was a bootleg, but it was actually legit because back in the day the sissies in the UK censored anything about ninjas and their weapons and such. Yes, apparently the actual word "ninja" is controversial, so they replaced it with "hero". TMHT?? I read that on the cartoon whenever Michelangelo pulls out his nunchuks he is replaced by random show clips.

The UK censor board really has a hate on for nunchuks. Back in the day a lot of kung fu movies were edited especially any nunchuks for release in the UK. How can you cut the nunchuk scene from Enter the Dragon? How sad.

mike said...

hey check out this plug-in;
http://www.tineye.com/

when you right click on any image you can use it to search out other websites that are using it too.
through magic. .looky here;

http://www.disegnidacolorare.com/disegni/transformers/index2.html

Keef said...

They swiped my pictures and I don't even remember them asking!