Thursday, April 1, 2010

RIP

I'm not sure if you guys even knew it existed let alone visited it, but my kung fu film website, Bruceploitation, is officially dead.  If you still don't know that that is, it was my website about the movies and actors who cashed in on Bruce Lee's death.  It's actually been around for a long time, so long in fact that I can't even remember how old it is. I'm guessing 8 or 9 years old?

I originally put it up on Geocities because way back then it was the cool thing to do because they hosted websites for free.  Eventually Yahoo took over Geocities and just recently Yahoo shut down Geocities completely.  Thank you economy!  Yahoo gave me the option to switch it over, but it would've cost me way too much money, something like $160/year for a website I don't even update.  No thank you.  I have looked around at other places to host the site and I found some cheap ones that only cost like $4/mo. plus a domain name.  Still I probably won't update it much and my HTML skills are absolutely pathetic.  I took a HTML course at COTR waaaaay back in '97 and technically I never actually even finished the class.  I got an "Incomplete" which is weird because I thought I did the final project.  Then again I would go to class and spend the entire time surfing the 'net instead of actually working.  They still use HTML right??

I actually have a stack of movies to watch that I could review, but writing the reviews is that hard part.  Despite Bruceploitation not getting updated for forever, the site still gets visitors.  I still get, or I mean got the occasional e-mail from people asking questions about movies.  I usually gets e-mails with questions like this, "I watched this movie with this Bruce Lee lookalike who fights some guys who killed his master, so he's out for revenge."  Dude, you just described like 50,000 kung fu films right there!  After a while the movies all blur together and being the jerk that I am I don't even bother replying to e-mails anymore.  Sorry guys, ask someone else.

The really crappy thing about Bruceploitation closing is that it also hosted all the pictures I had on my old MySpace blog as well as the music for the Boom Box on this blog.  Yeah, the Boom Box is gone, as if anyone even noticed!  I didn't even have back ups for pretty much all of the pictures from MySpace, so they are lost forever which really sucks.  I guess that is why you are supposed to back stuff up I suppose.


End of an era.  RIP Bruceploitation 2001 - 2010

3 comments:

Cam said...

I'll pour a 40 on the curb for my dead homie, the Bruceploitation site. I remember reading it and laughing, and that's what it's all about.

Was Eddie Brown the prof in your HTML class? He's also officially dead now. So, uhh, RIP to Eddie Brown too.

Keef said...

Yeah, he was the "instructor" for class. We're a few years too late for Eddie, but RIP anyway. He was nice, despite not passing me in his class. My record is tarnished!

mike said...

oh man, if he could see you now, master of three- er two highly entertaining blogs..

side note, I ran into Mr. Lance Cuthill at costco the other day; I'm still choked he wrote that I wasn't working to my full potential on my report card. I showed him though, I didn't even say hi..