Sunday, October 17, 2010

Same old story.

I didn't work today because there sorta was this comic "thing" going on.  I wouldn't call it a "show" or "con" because it's usually so small.  In past years they've always brought in guests which was cool, but this year the dude in charge had a heart attack or something so one of the guy's from Phoenix Comics was in charge.  They only had two local artists and all other tables were for dealers which means more dudes selling stuff.  I don't need any more stuff, but I still went.


Most of the stuff I bought is small and won't take up much room on shelves or in boxes.  The Star Wars stuff is for Logan's birthday coming up.  I got a couple video games and the funny thing is that one guy was selling the same Zelda game for $30, but I bought it a different table for $10.  The Blade of Steel still in the box was the best deal at $2.


I also picked up my usual homemade chocolate pops of Chewie, Oscar and Cookie Monster.  As I learned previously I will not leave them lying around for seven months before I eat them or else suffer the consequences.  The lady had also added decorative cookies this time.  She had some Star Wars ones, but I got a Domo cookie.


We didn't spend too much there, maybe an hour.  Cody only bought a Punisher figure which cost more than the admission fee.  I would've liked to see more artists, but it was still pretty busy in there so that is good for those guys.  Maybe next year.

Before we even went to the comic "thing" we stopped at the Sunnyside/Hillhurst community center where they have a flea market every Sunday.  Usually it's mostly crap that should be thrown in the dumpster by the back door, but they had a few good things there today.  For some reason there were a lot of guys selling records.  Cody bought a cool old Star Wars puzzle with Han and Chewie and I totally wasted my money on a Nintendo 64 for $40.


For my $40 I got the system, a controller and seven games.  Some of the games aren't bad like Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Castlevania, THPS 2, Pokemon Stadium 2 and Excitebike 64.  I already gave it a try and it all works fine.  The console is in good shape, but had some sticker residue on it, but I have some stuff to take that off.  I remember how everybody raves about Goldeneye, but I was playing it today and good lord it looks awful.  It's almost as if I need to go out and buy a standard definition TV set now in hopes it won't look so awful.  The weird thing I think looks ugly, but have no problem with Contra or River City Ransom on the NES.  The N64 controller is so awkward I don't know how people used it, it feels so backwards.  I'm hoping Excitebike 64 will be cool.    I guess I should've just saved my $40 for the Goldeneye reboot on the Wii coming out Nov 9th.  I know it will look and control better.

No comments: