Saturday, September 10, 2011

Twinkie the Kid

 Fin.


I've actually been waiting to do that since June.  It's not that I've been busy or even lazy, it's just taken me that long to actually find some Twinkies!  I actually haven't eaten a Twinkie since I was a kid, so I just assumed you could find them anywhere.

Near the start of June I found that Twinkie the Kid twinkie caddy at the Co-op on MacLeod Trail.  They must've been sitting around in the back room for a while because they were all dusty and the packaging certainly looked a little dated.  Co-op didn't carry twinkies, but Superstore does, or at least they did.  I couldn't find any Hostess stuff at work even though I remember that at one time we did.  I checked 7-11 too, but they don't sell Hostess stuff because they replaced them with their own 7-11 brand knockoff snacks.  FYI, they are gross, so avoid them at all costs.  I was close at Wal-Mart because they had Hostess King Dons, Cupcakes and Vanilla Cupcakes, but no Twinkies.  How can you have those three items, but no Twinkies?!
My parents went to Oregon in July and I asked them to look for some while they were there, but they came back empty handed.  I don't think they looked too hard.  They went down to Coeur d'Alene in August before I came home and I asked again if they could look for Twinkies and again they couldn't find any.  What is going on?!  They did bring me back some cereal though.


A couple years ago my sister went down to the States and I asked her to bring back some US cereal, so she brought me back mostly Pebbles and Cookie Crisp.  I didn't like the Pebbles very much, in fact the neon colour of it was pretty scary.  This time the Marshmallow Pebbles weren't bad, it must've been the addition of the marshmallow.  Anyway, back to the story...

I was bummed out because I had this cool Twinkie caddy, but no Twinkies to put in it.  Then when I was back in Cranbrook I was at the Superstore there and was walking by the bakery when I noticed TWINKIES!  I guess Superstore used to carry Hostess, then we didn't, but now we do again.  The waiting paid off and I finally found my Twinkies, so I can write this post and be disappointed.  Yep, I said disappointed  because Twinkies are nowhere near as good as I remember them tasting.  In fact they are kind of gross and now I'm stuck with an entire box of them to eat.   Too bad the cool Twinkie caddy didn't make them taste better too.

No comments: