Thursday, December 6, 2007

Mix it up

I've been trying to make a mix CD which is pretty hard because I really suck at making mixes. I can never get the songs to flow, so the finished product just feels awkward. In an effort to try and offset that I decided to make a cool intro and outro for the mix and I think I really out did myself too.

Some thanks go to Cam who helped me with this. Way back when I had Cam hook his tape deck up to his CD recorder and record some old school storybooks on tape onto CD. I got Droid World, Planet of the Hoojibs, Return of the Jedi, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, and Tron all put on CD. I actually have way more tapes than that, but at the time of recording I only had access to those ones.

I downloaded a trial sound editing program called WavePad, so I could trim out whatever bits I wanted. I ripped ROTJ as a loseless wav file, sad thing is that out of all the files the ROTJ file sounded the worst. I trimmed it up the way I wanted, WavePad had some nice feature like normalize and one that would remove any hiss which really helped clean it up.

I only took a few minutes and I had my new intro and outro files saved as mp3s. I thought the outro file was a bit long, so I made another one from the end of the Indy file. It's much shorter and I think maybe a better outro. I need some help on this one, so check out the files and let me know which one you think is better.

intro.mp3
outro.mp3
outro2.mp3

Enjoy, and if you want me to make something similar out the other "books" just let me know and I shall do!

No comments: