Saturday, March 28, 2009

Bigger is better.

I know I said I was going to post something about the junk I picked up in the Cranbrook thrift stores, but decided to put that on hold because today I got my BRAND NEW TV!!!!


You are looking at a Toshiba 46" 1080p Regza and as you can see on the screen I also have a Samsung Blu Ray DVD player. When I was in Cranbrook my dad gave me the Blu Ray because he got it through work and since I've been planning on getting a new TV forever I figured if I had the Blu Ray then I might as well get the TV.

I picked up the TV at Visions which is right by our place and good thing too becasue the box wouldn't fit inside my car. Me and Visions dude had to take it out of the box, fold the seat down, and lay it in the back. I drove extra careful and it only took me 45 minutes to drive the one kilometer home, but the TV made it safe and that is all that counts. Cody was at work so I had to carry the TV inside by myself praying the whole time that I didn't drop it. It wasn't that heavy, but big and awkward to hold, plus there was a bit of snow on the ground.

I got it all hooked up with the Blu Ray and XBox 360 hooked up with HDMI and the Wii hooked into the Color Stream. We still got regular old cable which looks like crap. I only have one Blu Ray disc, Bolt, but it looks pretty damn good. I have the Star Wars DVD that has the original theatrical version and the special edition version. I threw each disc in and the special edition version looked pretty nice, but the theatrical version looked pretty crappy. I read somewhere that the theatrical version is a port of the laser disc, so they didn't clean up the image and they didn't even bother to make it anamorphic widescreen. So if you watch it there are black bars on the top and bottom because basically it's still recognized at full frame. Dammit! The Blu Ray is supposed to enhance and upgrade picture quality on regular DVDs. My old DVD players upscaled to 1080p also, but no sense in having mulitple DVD players.

I had to go buy some color stream cables for the Wii. The Wii displays 16X9 but it's not HD, it only has a resolution of 480p. I tried it with the regular cables and then with the color stream cables and noticed a big improvement on the picture quality. The XBox looks nice too and hopefully the HD and bigger screen will make getting head shots a lot easier.

Since I just hooked it all up today I haven't had time to figured out all the settings and different modes. I'll have to read the manual, but I'll try pressing all kinds of buttons first and see what happens. There is supposed to be a Game mode, but I haven't even found that yet.

That's it for now, so I hoped you enjoyed my new TV. Now that I have a new TV I guess Cody can buy the Shaw HDPVR. It's only fair.

No comments: