Monday, March 15, 2010

Zoom Zoom

It is still Monday and here is my post I promised about cars. I should have been a little more specific because it not about real cars. If I misled you then I apologize, but you came back, so it worked. It's also not about the Disney movie Cars, so sorry again if you thought it was. It's actually about toy cars.

On Saturday I stopped by Chinook & Hobby West on MacLeod Trail. They sell models, trains, statues and toys. They always have something you want, unfortunately you can't always afford that thing you want. Lucky for me I saw some cars and thought they looked pretty cool because the packaging and style was old school 80's looking. Upon closer inspection I saw that they weren't reproductions, but actual vintage cars still in the packages. Since they were only $1.99 each I picked up a couple.


I got this one because it glows in the dark and anything that glows in the dark is cool. Despite the fact that the car is like 27 years old the glow in the dark effect still works pretty good. They also had Glo Racers with a launcher that also glowed in the dark. Who needs a night light?


This one doesn't glow in the dark, but it does have the flashing lights and sound gimmick that kids die for. Right on the package it says "Permanent battery plays over 5000 Sound & Light actions." SOLD!

I saved the best one for last because it's about explosions! Yes, it's a Mega-Blasters cap car. You cut off a cap (that is safe right?) and place it in a slot on the bottom of the car. Put the car in the launcher and when you "Fire" it out of the launcher the cap goes off in a bang of awesomeness. I didn't have one of these when I was a kid, but wish I did. I had my fair share of cap guns, so a cap powered car would've been awesome.

Since all these cars are all vintage, I'm scared to open the packages because I'm such a nerd. I was also going to give Avery the Sonic Flashers car, but now I'm thinking about keeping for myself because it has a permanent battery that plays over 5000 sound & light actions. COOL! I guess they were only $1.99 each and I could go back and buy a couple more. It would be cool to have pile of Glo Racers spread throughout a darkened room, it would look nifty.

3 comments:

mike said...

I totally had the sonic flashers, those are the ones that you push down on the front to turn them on.

that glow in the dark must be from the days that they had good chemicals with real radiation action...

and exploding caps make tings 100x better. always.

you're missing KeyCars though..

Keef said...

I bought all the varieties they had available, except for the Glo Car w/launcher. I did have a Key Car back in the day.

Keef said...

I gave Avery the Sonic Flashers police car, but failed to realize that after 27 years in the package that the battery might not work which it didn't.