Saturday, December 17, 2011

Merry X-Mas!!

Are you tired of Lego yet?  Well too bad because here is some more of it!  I got a Christmas tree in the form of a Lego holiday kit from the Lego Store.  Around different times/seasons of the year they do different themed kits.  At Halloween they had a bat and spider kit, so it's only natural that at Christmas there is a Christmas tree kit.


It doesn't take up much room and it doesn't leave needles on the carpet.  Putting it up and taking it down is a snap, but there isn't much room under it for gifts.  I plan on putting the instructions and all the pieces into a Ziploc bag after Christmas, so I will reuse it in the future.  Save a tree!

Looks like I'll heading back to Cranbrook on Dec 23rd for a few days and head back to Calgary on Dec 27th.  It sucks because now I'm working nine days in a row at the busiest time of year before I get to drive back to BC.  Cam says he'll be around, so hopefully I'll get to see him.

Now for something completely different!  I always meant to do a post about the two comics that are pictured in the background of the Christmas tree picture, Leave it to PET! and Detroit Metal City.  They are both Japanese and are pretty funny, although totally different.  Leave it to PET! is actually for kids and is about a young boy who recycles a plastic drink bottle only to have it return as helper robot.  Of course the robot is always there it help him, but most of the time doesn't actually succeed or just makes things worse.  There series is only four volumes, but I thought the first two books were the best.  They're full of short stories that are actually pretty funny.   Other recycled robot characters show up to "help" out too.  I should have an army of recycled Diet Pepsi bottles.

Detroit Metal City is definitely NOT for kids.  It's a music comedy about a shy musician who moved to Tokyo in order to become a pop star.  Unfortunately, it doesn't go so well and he ends up being the front man for the heavy metal band, DMC aka Detroit Metal City and like KISS the band dress up in costumes and make-up when performing.  It's very funny and the main character gets into all sorts of crazy situations as his alter ego Johannes Krauser II and the two very different personalities.  Sometimes it seems be making fun of the heavy metal genre, but I think it's mostly just having fun with it.  This is one series to check out.  I was originally a manga, then a anime and then a live action movie.  The books are out here, the anime series still hasn't been released, but the movie is out.  I haven't see it yet, but I want to.

Go to your local public library and ask about these two titles!

No comments: