Monday, February 27, 2012

Can I have your autograph?

I went skiing again on Sunday and the weather was a little better.  It wasn't foggy, but after lunch it was really windy and snowing ice crystals, so going up the quad sucked.  Of course I had a toque and goggles on, but with the wind driving the ice right into my uncovered face, it kinda hurt.  Then we went to the backside where it was sunny.  The Easter triple is still there, but there is also the Tamarack double chair in the back which is lower down than the Easter.  The back isn't bad, still a lot of traversing, but it was like that back in the old days.

I had to go through all my crap because I had like seven Star Wars comics I wanted to put in my box.  Of course the box with all the other Star Wars comics was under the stairs at the back and on the bottom of all my other stuff.  I had to pull a bunch of crap out so I could get to it.  I did get it out and I only need 4 more issues to complete the run of the old Star Wars comics from Marvel.  Since I was pulling out stuff I had to look at the boxes to remind myself of all the cool stuff I got.  Here is some stuff I have that is autographed.

I got this Weezer autographed picture when I joined the Weezer fan club way back in 1997.  I think it was '97.  Rivers' signature is a little smudgy and you can't even see Patrick's because he signed it in black pen over top of himself in black shirt.

Jeff got this for me when he met Craig Kelly(RIP) at some ski store in Idaho.  This is from WAY back in the day.  If you read the inscription it says "Rip it up Kieth".  He spelled my name wrong!  It was more Jeff's fault than his, damn Jeff.

This is a picture of the Vancouver band, The Smuggles, signed by their signer Grant Lawrence.  The Smugglers were signed to Vancouver label, Mint Records and I knew that a couple of them even worked there like Grant and Beez.  I knew this because I was watching  Much West one day and TDM went the Mint Records offices and was talking to Grant.  I had sent in a mail order with letters, money orders and stamps because that's how we did it in the old days.  I asked Grant if he could send me a Smugglers picture which he did!

The Smugglers aren't around anymore, but you can still catch Grant on his CBC Radio 3 show.

I dragged Kiki to see a spoken word thing from X-Files superstar William B. Davis aka Cancer Man at the U of C.  I wasn't that bad as he talked about the show and his view about some the stuff from the show like aliens and did some Q and A.  After it was over he was signing stuff, so we got in line which was pretty long.  Just as it was about our turn to meet him the fire alarm goes off and we all have to leave.  He was cool about it and suggested everyone leave and he would return after it was cleared up.  About 30 seconds after we got outside the fire alarm was turned off and we went back inside and back in line.  After all that we were almost the last people to get to meet him and his signing hand must've been pretty tired.  He's got that entire ffwd paper cover to sign on and only does a little tiny squiggle under his chin.  I also got him to sign my ticket.

SLOAN!  Signed stickers and ticket stub from when we went to Edgefest.  Chris Murphy didn't sign my ticket stub, what a snob.  We went through the tent and I got them sign the back of some Navy Blues promo stickers then we went around and back through the tent again and got my ticket stub signed.  Jay looked at me funny because I had just been there a couple minutes earlier.  That trip was funny because Willie got totally sunburned.

I found my William B. Davis signed ticket in a different box with the Sloan stuff.  I knew I had one.  The date is Tuesday Feb 23, 1999.

Just for the hell of it, the highly prized Brenda Walsh rookie card!

4 comments:

Cam said...

Hey, I don't remember Sloan autographs at Edgefest, where was I? Was it while another band was playing or something? That's the one where we (and most of the crowd) left when The Tea Party went on, right? Why am I asking so many questions?

Keef said...

Yes, I think everyone else was watching another band. I want to say it was Green Day. I just remember Green Day spending more time goofing around and trying to get some fool from the audience onstage to play guitar than actually playing songs.

mike said...

And then Willie got sunburnt, haha. And then Cam and Willie got stuck on the bus..

Keef said...

Yeah, Willie was so red, sunburned, peeling and pretty much cooked. I guess Willie doesn't go outside much.