Saturday, March 16, 2013

Bug out

Tonight I forced Cody to watch a double features of horror flicks where the antagonist isn't a psychotic masked killer, but nature gone awry.  We watched The Nest, that had killer cockroaches and then Ticks which had, you guessed it, killer ticks.  Of the two I enjoyed Ticks the most, it moved along quicker, was funnier although unintentionally and featured Seth Green as the "hero".

It also reminded me of the time when Cody, Cam, Willie and I went hiking around the Moyie Falls area.  While we were hiking somebody had found a tick on them, but it was no big deal and just flicked it off.  Willie was getting all freaked out about the ticks and kept thinking he them on him, but we just bugged him about it.  During the drive back Willie sneezed like three times in a row and then Cam tells him, "That's the first sign of tick disease."  Willie is all panicking now, but then we started laughing at him because he's over reacting.  When Willie got home he found that he did indeed have a tick on him and I think his dad had to remove it for him, so I guess the joke was on us.  I'm kidding, it wasn't!  Besides everyone knows that sneezing FOUR times in a row is the first sign of tick disease, not three.

Another related tick story happened when I went hiking with Jeff and Kristian.  We went up a trail behind Horseshoe Lake that goes up the Steeples and is supposed to one of the ways to get to the glacier up there.  I've tried it twice before and it's a good trail, but crazy steep.  I guess that's why they call it the STEEPles, am I right??  So we went up a ways and stopped for a break and were sitting on the ground relaxing for a minute when I noticed a tick crawling on my pant leg.  I was like, "Oh, a tick." and then flicked it off.  Jeff started freaking out and basically stripping right there on the trail looking for ticks.  In the process his shirt is on the ground and his pants are around his ankles which I pointed out would be an excellent chance for ticks to get on him.  We were all good though until we got back to Big Blue and Kristian found a tick inside his hat, so that was a close one.  I also think Jeff found one on himself when he got home too.  See the ones that panic the most seem to attract the most ticks.

I guess the best way to avoid ticks is to never go outside into the woods...ever. 

No comments: