Wednesday, March 6, 2013

NSFW II



That is not a mole, but a fancy pants blood glucose monitor.  The pharmacists by me is a diabetes educator and she just got this glucose monitor that you wear around for five to six days.  There is an electrode sensor inside you and then the monitor takes readings.  She just got the thing and I'm the first person (guinea pig) that she's "installed" it on.

First of the sensor is injected into fat in the body, in my case my stomach because that's where most of it is, with a big needle.  The sensor is taped down and then then actual meter is attached to the sensor.  More tape is applied to keep everything in place.  The first couple days it was weird walking around with a lump on the side of my stomach and at work every time I lifted something heavy I thought it was going to pop off.  It didn't and after a few days I didn't even know it was there.  It was still nice to get it off though.


After I peeled off the first layer of tape I took off the monitor.  The system from Medtronic is called the iPro and costs $2000.  I didn't break it to my knowledge.  Once it starts recording, it will take a blood sugar reading every five minutes.


That is just the sensor bit with the monitor removed. 


Now the fun part of removing the sensor from my stomach fat!  The tape peeling off my stomach hurt more and took some body hair with it.


The sensor after I ripped it from my belly.  It's flexible and whatnot, so you don't feel it.  Now it goes straight in the garbage.  Unless someone wants it?

I dropped it off at the pharmacy and then they hook it up to it's dock and download the data which will generate a bunch of fancy graphs and pie charts.   I probably don't want to know the results.

No comments: