Monday, March 25, 2013

Record breaking

Hey, check it out, I got a new lunch pail!

I'm just kidding, it's not a lunch box, but a 45 record box.  I was at the Inner Sleeve in Marda Loop today looking around because I haven't been there for a while.  I had grabbed a couple used CDs and was looking through the boxes of discounted records when I saw this record holder there.  I checked it out to see how much it would be, but couldn't find a price tag on it.  I asked the guy how much it was and he looked around to see if the tag had fallen off, but he didn't find one.

After not finding a price the guys asks me, "How does $5 sound?"  I told him, "That's sounds okay.", when really inside my head I was like "Haha, you dumb sucker!  It should be more like $25 of $30!"  So I contined browsing playing it all cool, then bought my stuff got the hell out of there before his mistake could be corrected.  Of course, he'll probably get in shit for it some where down the line, so I can't show my face around there for a while.


While I don't know the actual price of the record box, I have guess it more than five dollars.  It's vintage and kitschy, so hipsters eat that shit up right away and since it's vinyl related it's doubly hipster cool.  It's in really good shape apart from being a little dirty, but nothing some soap and water can't fix. 

I like that it's actually plastic, so therefore it's more durable.  A few years ago I bought a brand new one online for $30 which broke pretty damn fast.  The vinyl it was made from cracked right along where the "hinge" is, so eventually it'll just break right off.  Another fine investment on my part.

I'm sure the vinyl is supposed to split open like that, it's the way it was designed...is what I keep telling myself.

After a bit of brief investigation work online I found someone selling a near identical record box (but white) on eBay for $15, but that doesn't include shipping.  It's not near the $30 I was expecting, but still more than $5, so for once I'm coming out on top.  I'll take it where I can get it.  And, it would make a sweet lunch box.

No comments: