Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Something smells fishy around here...

Today I went to Chinatown and went to the movie store in hopes of picking a few movies and while I got some movies, they weren't the ones I was specifically looking for.  Good thing for me my mom will be in Hong Kong the beginning of November.  I also stopped by the snack food store to grab some Hi-Chew and similar candy because I can't resist buy 2 get 1 free.

Most of the candy is fruit flavoured and I usually get green apple, cherry, strawberry, grape and cola too of course.  This time I spotted a new flavour because all the others just had picture of fruit on them, but this package had a character on it.  I'll take a mascot or character based candy over a piece of fruit any day.  While I still don't read Japanese it was pretty obvious it was salmon or sushi based which sounds pretty gross, so you know I had to buy two packages.


Say hello to Kirimi-chan, the newest Sanrio character who is a salmon fillet and "a star in the sliced food world".  Pretty weird for a slice of fish to be a marketable character, but apparently that's what the Japanese people want as Kirimi-chan was the winner of the Food Character Election held in 2013.  The runner up was an egg.  I swear I'm not making this up.


For sale in Japan only?  Haha, I don't think so.


It's pink like salmon.


Even the bottom of the candy is grey which is what the back of a salmon fillet would look like if the skin was removed.  I like the attention to detail here.  It looks the part, but does it taste like salmon?

I tried a piece and at first it doesn't taste like much, but after a few chews it does have a weird salmon-y taste.  I gave one to Cody and told him to eat it and let me know what it tasted like.  He didn't like it and said it tasted like "beef".  I guess since I knew it was a salmon flavoured candy I "knew" what I was tasting.  Still he was close I suppose.  The end result is that it's not very good and next time I'll stick with cherry or cola.  Still this is what everyone is getting for Christmas this year.

No comments: