Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Big Flop Pee-Wee

I still haven't signed up for Netflix yet because I'm lazy and like to do things at my own pace, I will do it eventually.  In the meantime I dusted off my Big Top Pee-Wee DVD tonight and watched it to get pumped for Pee-Wee's Big Holiday.


In Pee-Wee's Big Adventure there are lots of stand out scenes, jokes and lines that you remember years and decades later. I don't remember much about Big Top Pee-Wee except the basic plot, a circus crash lands on his farm during a storm.  Then I watched it and realized why I didn't remember much, it wasn't that great.  There are a couple funny parts, but overall it lacked the kookiness and the fun of Pee-Wee's Big Adventure.

Pee-Wee is a real horn dog in Big Top as when he meets his girlfriend Winnie for lunch he literally throws himself on her trying to get some action, not once but twice.  Then later on when he falls for circus girl Gina and they kiss I swear it was a minute long take of the two of them kissing.  The camera is close up and then pulls out to a wide panoramic shot.  After the first ten seconds I was like, "This is getting creepy", but then the scene just kept going!  Eventually Pee-Wee totally scores and it cuts to some stock footage of a train going into a tunnel, fireworks going off, waves crashing on rocks and some lady mud wrestlers.  Not really what I want in a Pee-Wee Herman movie.  Cara might like this sexed up version of Pee-Wee though.

The following sequence is the best in the whole movie, I also like the Abraham Lincoln bit right near the start as well.










No comments: