Saturday, October 6, 2012

Thanksgiving or whatever

Another Thanksgiving and another Thanksgiving I'm stuck in Calgary not having a real turkey dinner.  In past I've tried things like a turkey sub from Subway, turkey pepperoni sticks, a Swanson turkey dinner, but the worst was the canned turkey.  One year I even cooked a PC Easy Carve turkey and almost did that this year, but I didn't want to spend all that money and it would too much food for just me.  This year I went with the Butterball stuffed turkey roll/log breast.


I know Thanksgiving dinner is supposed to be on Sunday and if you aren't having it on Sunday then you are doing it wrong!  I have to work Sunday and I don't have time to "cook", so Saturday it is!  I even read the instructions and I was supposed to put it on a rack in a shallow roasting pan.  I don't have a rack or a roasting pan, so it wasn't exactly a smooth start.


After going to Safeway I bought this roasting pan, but is it shallow enough?  I was confused because they had roasting pans and baking pans.  What is the difference?  They look exactly the same and are made of the exact same thing.  I bought this one because it actually said it was a roasting pan on the label and it was the smallest they had.  They had smaller ones, but they were the "baking" pans.  I never did get a rack for it.


My turkey log in the "roasting" pan ready to go in to the oven.  The directions also say to oil the turkey to keep it moist so the netting on it doesn't dry out.  It will rip apart the meat when you remove it later.  I oiled it up (the turkey) and slapped some bacon on it (still the turkey) because the bacon grease will do the same thing as the oil right?

Four and a half hours later...


It's done!  It kind of, sort of looks edible. The light strip on the right hand side is where I ate a piece of the bacon.  The netting came off pretty easy without damaging the meat.  The bacon worked!


Thanksgiving dinner is served.  I made the gravy from a packet of Swiss Chalet gravy mix, the scalloped potatoes are Betty Crocker and the veggies I threw in the microwave.  It wasn't bad, but still too much work and too much mess for something that tasted like that.  Why can't someone make a turkey and gravy flavored cereal?  I hope I did everything right and suffer no ill consequences, but I guess only time will tell.  Cross your fingers.


The best part because I didn't have cook it!

No comments: